Sunday, April 17, 2011

Use of Big Words

My pet peeve is when people use "big" words in the incorrect context. For example: Just the other day I heard someone use the word exacerbate (means to make a problem worse) in a sentence and it sounded good, but wasn't even close. My husband's old boss use to write memos and use big words which often made the memos confusing. My hubby is out of town right now, and I don't remember all of them, but one of the boss's memos said "The weight of this rail car did not match the weight that was on the order slip. To correct this phenomena in the future, please check the weight." WHAT????? Weight on rail cars is now a phenomena? I thought aliens or the 7 wonders of the ancient world were phenomena! Was there really no better word than phenomena?

Adrienne 29, Woods Cross Utah

No comments: